Principal Medicinal Chemist - Cambridge
Principal Medicinal Chemist
Mission Therapeutics is a drug discovery and development company focused on targeting deubiquitylating (DUB) enzymes to treat cancer, inflammation, neurodegenerative and other diseases. The company has established a broadly-applicable and proprietary platform that is enabling the pursuit of multiple programs.
We have an exciting opportunity for a talented and extensively experienced medicinal chemist to join us at our Cambridge, UK based facilities on the Babraham Research Campus, at the heart of Europe's largest biotechnology cluster.
You will be responsible for one or more projects within a fast paced semi virtual research organisation. You will combine extensive hit seeking past experience with screening data from many sources, to iteratively design compounds which progress early projects (in the hit/lead phases) towards candidate nomination.
You will remotely direct the synthesis of compounds using large teams at several CROs. You will analyse in-house screening data to identify the best hits, whilst applying sound medicinal chemistry design skills to determine the optimisation potential of hits as quickly as possible by addressing the key issues within the fewest synthetically tractable analogues. You will be expected to analyse the IP situation surrounding all series and work closely with IP management colleagues to ensure thorough protection.
Qualifications and Experience
- A PhD in synthetic organic chemistry.
- A track record of playing key roles in the discovery of candidates for unprecedented or difficult biological targets.
- Experience of leading chemistry teams in hit to lead phases across a wide selection of projects (ideally including enzymes, especially cysteine proteases).
- Extensive experience of remotely managing large CRO teams of more than 6 synthetic chemists.
Key Skills and Abilities
- The ability to design creative and novel medicinal chemistry solutions whilst ensuring drug-likeness is not compromised.
- A thorough knowledge of synthetic methodology and reaction mechanisms.
- The ability to analyse complex data-sets and identify exploitable SAR.
- A thorough appreciation of all mainstream medicinal chemistry design principles and techniques (including Ro5, efficiency parameters, structural alerts and SBDD).
- A working understanding of the fundamentals of screening assays, human PK and safety predictions, IP protection strategy and all other pre-candidate criteria.
We offer a competitive salary along with a contributory pension scheme and other excellent benefits.
This is an exceptional opportunity to join a fast-growing biotech company. If you would like to apply for this position, please send your CV with a covering letter by clicking on the 'Apply' button.
The closing date for applications is 27th August 2017
In order to comply with UK employment legislation all applicants for positions at Mission must have the right to work in the UK. In the event that a job offer is made, you will be required to provide evidence of your right to work in the UK before you commence employment with Mission.
No agencies, thank you.