Analytical Development Scientist - Biophysical Characterisation
Analytical Development Scientist - Biophysical Characterisation (ASII/SI)
Location: Cambridge; Permanent
If you're inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions - join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you'll have the opportunity to make a difference in people's lives every day. As one of the world's premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centred on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease.
We are seeking a highly motivated Analytical Development Scientist specialising in the biophysical analysis of proteins, nucleic acids, nano particles and virus capsids. As a member of the Physicochemical Analytical Sciences Team in Cambridge UK, you will work to support the analytical development of a range of biotherapeutic protein and gene therapy products.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
You will be based in the laboratory working effectively in a fast-paced, goal-orientated and cross-disciplinary/cross functional environment to support the analytical development of a range of biotherapeutic proteins, including ADCs, bispecific and fusion proteins, as well as a range of gene therapy products including lipid nanoparticles and adeno-associated viruses.
To do this you will design and execute studies to establish the structure/function relationships of therapeutic proteins, protein complexes, nucleic acids or nano particles/virus capsids. You will develop physicochemical and characterisation assays to increase both product and process understanding as well as perform routine testing to progress the development portfolio. As part of this, you will perform method development, qualification, technical transfer and continuous improvement of physicochemical assays.
You will routinely analyse, interpret and present data to cross functional teams and non-expert audiences, as well as prepare SOPs and technical reports. In order to work effectively, you will have both strong technical understanding and practical experience in a range of biophysical/physicochemical techniques and the ability to conduct instrument maintenance and trouble shooting. You will be an effective communicator and work in collaboration with the research/development interface and process teams to translate and build molecule understanding.
- PhD, MSc, BSc (or equivalent) in biochemistry, chemistry or biotechnology.
- Extensive practical experience analysing proteins/nucleic acid/nano particles/virus capsids using a number of biophysical techniques, such as circular dichroism, fluorescence, differential scanning calorimetry, analytical ultracentrifugation, light scattering, chromatography, infrared spectroscopy, light obscuration, and flow microscopy.
- Confident developing molecule specific biophysical methodology and evaluating new technologies.
- Familiar with physicochemical methods such as N-linked glycan analysis, chromatography (SEC,IEC, RP), electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE and c-IEF) to analyse therapeutic proteins
- Strong understanding of biochemistry and protein chemistry
- High level of technical understanding in biophysical techniques for characterising therapeutic proteins, peptides and gene therapy products.
- Degree in Biochemistry/Biophysical Chemistry/Biochemical Engineering or similar.
- Practical experience using LC-MS to characterise sequence variants, post-translational modification analysis and chemical modifications of biologics.
- Familiarity with structural MS (HDX-MS, Native-MS and XL-MS, FPOP)
- Familiarity with high throughput analytics (e.g. Targeted MS, Octet biosensor, GXII).
- Experience of Bioprocess Development and CMC related activities including experience supporting regulatory filings
- Strong understanding of carbohydrate biochemistry, and associated experience of techniques for characterising and quantifying glycan structures.
- High level of technical understanding in one or more physicochemical technique/molecule attribute (electrophoresis, charge heterogeneity, N & O-linked carbohydrates).
Next Steps - Apply Today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience - it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
Closing date for applications: 9th September 2017
MedImmune is an equal opportunity employer. MedImmune will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.