Heptares is a Drug Discovery Company working on G protein-coupled receptors (GPCRs) involved in CNS and metabolic diseases. Our unique structure-based approach in discovering therapeutic agents for these diseases relies on a proprietary technology to stabilise GPCRs, enabling their purification for structural and biophysical studies. The company is currently based in Welwyn Garden City and will be relocating to the Cambridge area in mid-2018.
We are currently seeking an experienced molecular biologist to join the protein engineering group working on GPCR structure determination to enable drug discovery efforts.
Our preferred candidate will have the following profile:
- Bachelor degree in a relevant area of biology;
- Experience in a variety of molecular biology and cell culture techniques;
- Experience in membrane protein expression methods in mammalian and insect cells;
- Experience in membrane protein purification;
- Experience in GPCR in vitro pharmacology;
- Experience in GPCR biochemical assays;
- Ability to work flexibly within a team whilst being highly self-motivated and work independently;
- Analytical thinking and good problem solving skills;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills as well as the ability to work to strict deadlines;
- Fluency in oral and written English; and
- Relevant lab experience would be preferred.
The successful candidate will be expected to work independently, and the role will include the following responsibilities:
- Cloning of plasmid constructs for expression;
- Expression of GPCRs in insect and human cells;
- Characterization of GPCRs in membrane and in solubilised form using radioligand and fluorescent binding assays;
- Setting up and optimising thermal stability assays;
- Screening for stabilising mutations using our proprietary platform to create StaRs ?? ;
- Construct engineering to optimise expression;
- Purification of GPCRs and biochemical characterisation using a range of analytical techniques such as size exclusion chromatography;
- Careful documentation of experimental work; and,
- Work closely with molecular biologists, protein expression scientists, crystallographers and pharmacologists to help advance the project.
This is an exceptional opportunity to participate in pioneering science with an Industry-leading Drug Discovery company.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Heptares is an equal opportunities employer.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate proof of the right to work in the United Kingdom.
Further information can be found on our website ( ). Applications should include a covering letter with curriculum vitae including the names and contact details for two referees. Please send your application in pdf format, to quoting reference number 2017/2PE. The closing date for applications is 6 th September 2017.