Data Discovery Java Software Engineer
Contract Duration:2 Years
Grading:5 (monthly salary starting at GBP2,552 after tax). For more information about pay and benefits click here
Closing Date:10th September 2017
Reference Number:EBI_01023Job Description
We are seeking a Software Engineer to join the Data Coordination and Archiving Team at the EMBL European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI). The team provides data coordination services for partners around the world for a portfolio of sequencing based studies. With underlying infrastructure for these services based around the European Nucleotide Archive - one of life science's largest and longest standing data resources - this is an opportunity to rise to the challenges of 'big data' and make contributions that advance the reach and utility of sequence data.
You will contribute to specific data indexing, presentation and retrieval microservices, user APIs and public web interfaces to improve discoverability and usability of data across three of our current projects:
- In the area of metagenomics, you will work to index and present identifications on environmental sequence data as part of the BBSRC-funded EMBL-EBI Metagenomics resource;
- In the areas of data coordination for infectious disease surveillance and stem cell research, under the EU COMPARE and HipSci projects, respectively, you will improve indexing and presentation of sample and sequencing library information.
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of 'big data' in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by 22 member states and two associate member states and proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.Qualifications and Experience
You should have a university degree in computer sciences or life sciences and have several years' experience building Java applications.
- A strong command of Java
- Experience developing or maintaining web-based applications
- Proficiency with database connectivity and relational databases
- Experience in full software development cycle including design, implementation, testing, version control and deployment
- Willingness to learn new skills as the project requires
- Self-motivated and capable of working both independently and as part of a team
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and English language skills
- Prior experience working in a multidisciplinary scientific environment.
You may be required to travel.Benefits
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise - something you probably won't find anywhere else.
If you've ever visited the campus you'll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, caf??s and restaurant and a library.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV, with two referees, through our online system.Additional Information
Applications are welcome from all nationalities - visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
This position is limited to the project duration specified.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.
It is envisaged that interviews will take place on 12.10.2017 or 16.10.2017.
- Apply now