Contract Duration:3 Years
Grading:5 or 6 (monthly salary starting at GBP2,507 or GBP2,805 after tax). For more information about pay and benefits click here
Closing Date:20th August 2017
Reference Number:EBI_00999Job Description
At the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI), we help scientists realise the potential of 'big data' in biology, enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind.
We are looking for an experienced Video Producer to make engaging video content to help raise the profile of our organisation. As part of the External Relations team, working alongside colleagues in EMBL-EBI's audio visual team and closely with EMBL's video producer in Heidelberg, you will deliver high-quality content about EMBL-EBI's impact on society, its data services, cutting-edge research and advanced training. Your main role will be to support strategic communications by creating and editing video content that can be repurposed for different platforms.
We are looking for an experienced videographer with an eye for a good story, and who is comfortable working with a range of video technologies. Your ability to tell a story and your passion for science and technology will help the External Relations team communicate complex topics to a lay audience and funders. Crucially, your flexibility will help you adapt to shifting priorities in a busy office, where no two days are alike.
Working at EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy to something that really matters. If you've visited the campus, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside, you'll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere. We offer competitive salary, an informal culture, professional development, gym, caf?? and library, and a subsidised bus service to Cambridge and nearby Saffron Walden.
As part of EMBL we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by 23 member states and proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and recruit internationally. Our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals representing over 60 nationalities.
- Demonstrable, high level experience in digital video production, including lighting and editing
- Ability to plan and storyboard projects, direct productions and work effectively with internal clients
- Background in short-form video, non-linear editing, colorizing, compositing, transcoding and motion graphics
- Experience of using Final Cut software and Mediasite recording system would be advantageous
- Ability to work collaboratively with individuals and teams across a matrix organisation, demonstrating good communication and interpersonal skills
- Develop long-term, productive relationships with internal clients in different teams throughout the organisation
- Develop ideas for video in collaboration with the External Relations team, with EMBL's videographer and with appropriate colleagues across the organisation
- Help establish and implement production processes and workflows, building on best practice from EMBL's other videographers and content producers
- Keep abreast of EMBL-EBI's strategic objectives to ensure these are appropriately reflected in film
- Build and maintain a video library
- Explore new, innovative video production approaches, and adopt them for everyday practice as appropriate
- Ensure that our video offerings are reusable by the wider EMBL, working with the team to ensure they are discoverable
- Ensure the team has the right equipment to deliver high-quality video, and plan for future needs
- Work with the Head of External Relations to manage costs related to video production, and communicate about future needs.
The ideal candidate will be educated to degree level, but more importantly will be naturally enthusiastic about promoting science and technology. We are looking for a person who can bring hard-earned experience to this role.
It will be an advantage to be sufficiently confident to engage with subject-matter experts and leadership. You will need to be well organised, a self-starter with excellent time-management skills and be able to prioritise your work. Experience working internationally would also be desirable, though not required. It is absolutely essential that you have a proven track record creating high-quality content, and are able to collaborate in a team of creatives.
Please apply online through If you are shortlisted, you will be asked to supply examples of your work.Additional Information
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities - visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
The initial contract is for a period of three years with the possibility of a fixed-term extension.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.
It is envisaged that interviews will take place on 06.09.2017.
- Apply now