Automation Engineering Apprentice
Automation Engineering Apprentices play an important role within the Life Time Services (LTS) dept of TGW. This dept provides an after sales engineering maintenance service on behalf of the client. There would be opportunities to travel to customer sites across the UK & N. Europe to resident sites or sites that LTS cover for breakdown or repairs.
During this 4 year apprenticeship, you will be learning the skills required to become a Mechatronics Maintenance Technician with the long term goal of becoming a fully trained Engineer. The apprenticeship will provide you with a fully funded, nationally recognized qualification of a Level 3 Diploma in AME (Advanced Manufacturing Engineering) and a BTEC level 3 Diploma in Engineering.
As an Apprentice, you will spend the first 42 weeks working full time in a training environment allowing you to gain the foundational skills required. In year 2 & 3 you spend 1 day per week in the classroom and 4 days per week working on our clients’ sites alongside fully qualified engineers. The skills you would have learnt will be put into practice to assist and learn the methods and processes involved in keeping a complex automated warehouse operational. This will involve both reactive and preventative maintenance on a wide array of equipment such as conveyors, cranes, shuttles, lifts, robots and PLC’s. On a daily basis, you will gain knowledge of the job, our equipment and business and have the chance to put into practice the theory you have learnt in the classroom.
By the end of your apprenticeship, you will have the skills needed to support and assist in the provision of planned preventative maintenance, equipment repair & breakdowns, project support, installation, site management and operational support.
- Undertake engineering training as directed by the business
- Attend our training partners facilities to undertake Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (AME) training and maintain a portfolio of work
- Work in a safe manner and follow all health & safety requirements including Risk Assessment, Safe System Of Work and Control Of Substances Hazardous to Health requirements
- Maintain and submit an accurate weekly timesheet
- Develop knowledge of TGW, its departments and products
- Have visibility and working knowledge of the TGW cultural charter
- Be responsible for own travel to and from site
- Actively engage with your mentor
- Whilst on site, carry out work as directed by the resident lead engineer.
- Demonstrable interest in Automation and engineering
- To be IT literate and familiar with MS Outlook, Excel and Word
- A skilled communicator, both written and verbal
- Customer focused
- Open to new challenges
- Willingness to learn and commitment to studying
- Motivated and flexible
- Good organisational skills
- Attention to detail
- Good time management skills
- Essential: GCSE grades A-C or equivalent in English, Maths & Science
- Full driving licence
Depending on the current vacancies available within TGW you could be offered a permanent role on a client site as a Resident technician with development plans for becoming a resident engineer. There could also be opportunities of becoming a Mobile technician, with a roving role covering multiple sites across the UK and Northern Europe.
Things to consider:
Salary: Yr 1 - £140 per week Yr 2 - £224 per week (under 21) & £282 (21 and over) Yr 3 - £246 per week (under 21) & £300 (21 and over) Yr 4 - £320 per week First year of training is at Midland Group Training Services in Coventry - Monday to Thursday 08:00 - 16:00, Friday 08:00 - 12:00. Once working on clients sites, there would be opportunities and a level of expectation for working paid overtime and /or shifts, these wouldn’t interfere with your day release. A strong head for heights will be required to enable you to service the cranes. Some are as high as 30 metres. The travel to customer sites across the UK and Northern Europe would involve being away from home. Full driving licence and own transport is essential to enable travel to training location and customer site.